What Is Vegan Curd: Types, Benefits, & Vegan Curd Recipe
Veganism has been on the rise in recent years, with more & more people opting for plant-based alternatives to traditional animal products. One such product is vegan curd, which provides a tasty & nutritious alternative to traditional curd or yogurt.
In this blog post, we will explore what vegan curd is, the different types available, the benefits it provides, & a simple recipe for making vegan curd at home.
Also Check This: What Is Vegan Milk
What Is Vegan Curd?
Vegan curd is a plant-based alternative to traditional curd or yogurt made from dairy milk. It is typically made from non-dairy milk, such as soy, almond, coconut, & cashew milk, & contains probiotics, which provide the characteristic tangy taste of traditional curd.
Vegan curd is also commonly known as plant-based curd or dairy-free yogurt. Here are some popular brands of vegan curd:
- Forager Project
- Kite Hill
- So Delicious
Also Check This: What Is Vegan Chicken?
Types of Vegan Curd
Several different types of vegan curd are available on the market today, each with its unique flavor & texture. Some of the most popular types of vegan curd:
- Almond Milk Curd: Made from almond milk, it has a mild, nutty flavor & is a great option for those who prefer a dairy-free alternative.
- Soy Milk Curd: Made from soy milk, it's one of the most popular vegan curd types, with a thick, creamy texture & a variety of flavors.
- Coconut Milk Curd: Made from coconut milk, it has a rich, creamy texture & a tropical flavor, appealing to coconut lovers.
- Cashew Milk Curd: Made from cashew milk, it has a creamy texture & a slightly nutty flavor, making it an ideal choice for those allergic to soy or almonds.
- Oat Milk Curd: Made from oat milk, it has a slightly sweet & creamy taste & is perfect for people looking for gluten-free & nut-free alternatives.
- Hemp Milk Curd: Made from hemp milk, it has a nutty flavor & a creamy texture, providing a high-protein vegan curd option.
- Pea Protein Curd: Made from pea protein, it has a slightly sweet & creamy taste & is an excellent choice for those seeking a high-protein vegan curd.
Also Check This: Top 10 High Protein Indian Vegan Breakfast
Benefits of Vegan Curd
Vegan curd provides a range of benefits, both nutritional & environmental. Some of the key benefits:
- Dairy-free: Vegan curd is an excellent option for those who are lactose intolerant or have a dairy allergy or sensitivity.
- Plant-based: Vegan curd is made from non-dairy milk, making it a great option for those following a vegan or plant-based diet.
- Probiotics: Like traditional curd, vegan curd contains probiotics, which support digestive health & boost the immune system.
- Nutritious: Vegan curd is typically low in fat & high in protein, making it a nutritious addition to any meal or snack.
- Environmentally friendly: Choosing plant-based alternatives to traditional animal products can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions & promote more sustainable food systems.
- Versatile: Vegan curd can be used in a variety of recipes & cuisines, from savory to sweet dishes.
Also Check This: Best Vegan Snacks in India
Vegan Curd Recipe: How to make vegan curd
Making vegan curd at home is easy & requires only a few ingredients. Here is a simple recipe to make vegan curd at home:
- 2 cups of plant-based milk (almond, soy, or coconut milk)
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegan curd starter culture or probiotic capsule
- Sterilized glass jar with lid
- Heat the plant-based (vegan) milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 180°F.
- Once the milk reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the heat & let it cool to 110°F.
- Once the milk has cooled down, add 1-2 tablespoons of vegan curd starter culture or probiotic capsule & mix well.
- Next, pour the mixture into a sterilized glass jar & cover it with cheesecloth.
- Let the jar sit in a warm place for 8-12 hours until the mixture thickens & turns into curd.
- Once the curd has been set, refrigerate it for at least 4 hours before serving. Homemade vegan curd can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Also Check This: What is Mock Meat?
Vegan curd is a delicious & nutritious alternative to traditional curd or yogurt, providing a range of benefits for both our health & the environment.
With various plant-based milk options & flavors available, finding a vegan curd that suits your taste & dietary preferences is easy. Try making your own vegan curd at home with our simple recipe, & enjoy the tangy goodness of this plant-based delight!